Pages

Friday 13 May 2011

Ceramics Day 3

Trying to squeeze 3 or 4 hours in here and there to dedicate to my little mugs... This time I've taken great care to the designs of the mugs, in particular the consistency of the thickness of the clay for each mug, the handles and the area where 'mug meets base'.

This care and attention I feel is necessary following the first batch of mugs that have emerged from the kiln. Some have cracked and distorted considerably, which may be for a number of reasons, including the above. Also, following my handles research, I feel that I need to step my game up on some that are more attractive and better fitting.

Keeping in mind the raw clay is subject to noticeable shrinkage when drying and following 2 firings, the following are some shots from the 'sturdier' range of mugs that I'm developing. Not quite so cute and more chunky than I've produced before, but I'm hoping with a good choice of colours, a bit of shrinkage and a subtle pattern and texture, this could potentially really work. Fingers crossed for next week!

Another few hours are penciled in for tomorrow morning, some glaze experiments soon and then the final batches out by next weekend. I hope...!

No comments: